Getting Started with GIS (for ArcGIS 10.1)
- Format: Web Course
- Duration: 1 module (4 hours)
- Price: Free
- ArcGIS Version: 10.1
- Authored by Esri
If you are curious about what the acronym "GIS" stands for and what a GIS actually is, this course provides the answers. You will be introduced to the basic components of a GIS and some fundamental concepts that underlie the use of a GIS. As you practice working with GIS maps and geographic data, you will learn how a GIS helps people visualize and create information that can be used to make decisions and solve problems.
Who Should Attend
Individuals who are new to GIS (no prior GIS education or workplace experience with GIS).
Learn How To
- Use online resources to quickly create a GIS map.
- Describe two common data models used to represent real-world objects and phenomena in a GIS.
- Evaluate geographic data for use in a GIS mapping project.
- Explore a GIS map and access information about map features.
- Visually analyze feature relationships and patterns on a GIS map.
- Create queries to find and select features that meet specific criteria.
- Prepare a GIS map to share information and present analysis results.