Teaching with GIS: Introduction to Using GIS in the Classroom
- Format: Web Course
- Duration: 1 module (3 hours)
- Price: Free
- ArcGIS Version: 10.1
- Authored by Esri
Today's students embrace technology outside the classroom, and, when used effectively, technology is an excellent tool to engage students inside the classroom as well. This course presents strategies for integrating GIS to support instruction, discussion, and extended learning on any topic. You will learn how to create and use GIS maps as a framework for understanding the geographic context of current and historical events and phenomena and exploring issues of interest to your local community. Many practical ideas for GIS activities that enhance student learning and critical thinking skills are shared.
Who Should Attend
- Elementary through high school teachers, curriculum coordinators, and educational technologists.
- Youth leaders and GIS professionals who work with or mentor educators and students.
Learn How To
- Find, explore, and create GIS maps using a free, web-based viewer application.
- Help students visualize local, regional, and global data and make connections to their own environment.
- Present questions and have students explore GIS maps to find answers.
- Choose appropriate GIS classroom activities based on your instructional goals and students' level of knowledge.
- Guide students through a standard process for investigating a problem using GIS.
- Prepare a GIS map presentation on a topic of interest.