Basics of Geographic Coordinate Systems (for ArcGIS 10)
- Format: Web Course
- Duration: 1 module (3 hours)
- Price: Free
- ArcGIS Version: 10.0
- Authored by Esri
How do you accurately represent the location of features found on the earth's three-dimensional surface on a two-dimensional piece of paper or computer screen? In a GIS, the answer starts with a geographic coordinate system. In this course, you will learn the fundamental concepts of geographic coordinate systems and some of the history behind their development. You will also see how improvements in technology have affected the accuracy of GIS maps and measurements made from them.
Who Should Attend
Students and professionals who need to understand fundamental concepts of GIS.
Learn How To
- Describe why the shape used to model the earth is important for GIS mapping and analysis.
- Understand how the system of latitude-longitude locates features on the earth's surface.
- Convert latitude-longitude units to decimal degrees.
- See how the choice of geographic coordinate system affects feature locations and measurements on a GIS map.