Cartographic Design Using ArcGIS 9
As more people begin making maps using GIS software, they need to understand cartographic design principles that will help them create maps that are clear and convincing to those who will read them. This course discusses key design issues and teaches practical guidelines for creating maps that are well suited to their display medium and that speak effectively to their audience. Students learn fundamental design principles and practice with the ArcGIS Desktop tools for creating high-quality maps.
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for experienced ArcGIS Desktop users who want to create maps that communicate effectively.
Learn How To
- Understand fundamental cartographic principles
- Design maps for different purposes and audiences
- Export maps to different formats
- Create and modify map text
- Create special text effects such as callouts, shadows, and halos
- Understand principles of color theory and how they affect map symbolization
- Choose appropriate symbols for point, line, and polygon features
- Create custom symbols and color schemes
- Create custom map legends