Getting Started with GIS (for ArcGIS 10)
- Format: Web Course
- Duration: 3 modules (9 hours)
- Price: Free
- ArcGIS Version: 10.0
- Authored by Esri
This course provides a foundation for understanding what a geographic information system is and the possibilities it offers for discovering patterns, relationships, and trends. You will learn how GIS maps are different from other types of paper and digital maps, what makes the data used in a GIS unique, and how to use GIS software to obtain information and create meaningful maps. In interactive exercises and activities throughout the course, you will work with ArcGIS software and see how a GIS supports problem solving in many different contexts.
Who Should Attend
Individuals with no GIS background or experience who want to learn the basic features of a GIS and a geographic approach to solving problems.
Learn How To
- Explain what a GIS is.
- List some ways that GIS is being used to address real-world problems.
- Display geographic data on a GIS map.
- Query a GIS database to gain information and locate features.
- Understand different types of spatial relationships among real-world features.
- Use analysis tools to create new data.
- Apply a standard approach to solving geographic problems.