Maximizing GPS Accuracy in GIS Data Collection
- Format: Training Seminar
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Price: Free
- ArcGIS Version: 9.3, 9.3.1
- Authored by Esri
Since the 1980s, when the U.S. government made the Global Positioning System (GPS) available for civilian use, the application of GPS in civilian markets has evolved from high-value surveying and timing industries to wide-spread adoption in location-aware applications on consumer handsets. GPS plays a critical role in enterprise field service and work automation systems—mobile GIS tools leverage GPS to help workers locate themselves, navigate to their work, and accurately collect new geographic information. This seminar examines techniques for maximizing accuracy of GPS in mobile GIS data collection.
Who Should Attend
GIS analysts and operations staff who manage mobile GIS projects that incorporate GPS for data collection.
Learn How To
- Explain why GPS is critical for your work.
- Describe concept of differential correction.
- Explain relationship between GPS and GIS.
- Select the right type of GPS device for your needs.
- Recognize environmental impacts on GPS accuracy.
- Use key data collection methodologies.