At version 10, ArcGIS 3D Analyst supports a complete solution for 3D GIS. This course teaches fundamental concepts of 3D GIS as you learn how to visualize, edit, model, and analyze GIS data within a 3D context.
Who Should Attend
GIS analysts, planning professionals, geospatial intelligence analysts, and other experienced ArcGIS users who want to create, manage, analyze, and share 3D data.
Learn How To
After completing this course, you will be able to
- Visualize GIS data in 3D globes and local perspectives.
- Create and import 3D data.
- Edit and maintain 3D vector data in a 3D environment.
- Perform 3D analyses including viewshed, visibility, volumetric, and terrain analyses on vector and raster data.
- Use best practices to optimize 3D views for use on the desktop.
- Visualize temporal data in 3D by enabling time and creating 3D animations.
Esri will provide the following software to use during class:
- ArcGIS 10.0 for Desktop (ArcView, ArcEditor or ArcInfo)
- ArcGIS 3D Analyst 10.0
Using 3D GIS
- Considerations for incorporating 3D into GIS workflows
- Working with ArcScene vs. ArcGlobe
- Navigating a scene using ArcScene
- View a scene from multiple perspectives
- Navigating 3D data in ArcGlobe
Working with 3D data
- Understanding z-values and z-aware features
- Rasters, TINs, and terrains
- Creating an elevation raster from a digital elevation model (DEM)
- Interpolating a surface
- Creating 3D features
Visualizing GIS data in 3D
- Using 3D symbols
- Visualizing temporal data in 3D
- Creating animations
Editing features in 3D
- Editing workflow
- Creating textured 3D objects
- Editing features and 3D networks
Analyzing data using 3D tools
- Functional surface types
- Suitability models
- Determining optimal aspect, slope, and elevation
- Performing suitability analysis
- Creating skylines and skyline barriers to perform visibility analysis
Optimizing 3D performance
- Preparing raster data and feature data
- Layer property and application settings
- ArcScene optimization techniques
- ArcGlobe optimization techniques
Solving problems with 3D GIS
- Subsurface workflow
- 3D Virtual City workflow
- Coastal flood inundation